Monday, October 7, 2013

our DIY string chandelier

 I'm sharing instructions for our DIY string chandelier today. We LOVE the way it turned out and the light pattern it casts in our living room is gorgeous. I'm going to be honest and let you know what a pain it was to make :-)
We looked at this tutorial from chris loves julia but changed it up a bit. The basics seem to stay the same from tutorial to tutorial and we stuck with those then modified for what we wanted.
We used an exercise ball / twine from michaels / vaseline / modpodge and cornstarch.
You start out the exercise ball and draw a circle on the top that will later become the hole for the light fixture. We decided to cut up an old paper lantern and use the top circle from that so we could attach our light fixture with that. Cover the ball with vaseline so that the string doesn't stick to the ball. This will get messy.
 Hang the ball so you can get to all sides of it and put some plastic beneath it. We hung ours with some string from a track light. 
Mix up your modpodge and cornstarch and water. I don't really think the measurements matter that much as long as you get a milky consistency. I used about 3 tablespoons or so of cornstarch. 
Now this is where you just embrace the fact that you will get frustrated and covered in glue. Dip your string in the glue and start wrapping. And keep wrapping. Its a two person job for real. We had a system going where I would run the string through a weight in the glue (the weight helped keep the string in the glue) and Luke wrapped. We used about 3 spools of string total and it took a couple of hours.
Here she is wrapped / you need to let it sit for at least 24 hours. Getting the exercise ball out of the string was a lot easier then I thought. The vaseline kept it from sticking well and we just took the air out and pulled it through the hole. 


All hung :-) And I painted our light kit navy blue and love the pop of color. 
I will say we are having a hard time getting the ball to keep its shape, it tends to want to pull into more of an oval shape with the weight. You can kinda see it in the photo above. We are thinking of doing what Julia did to support it. But overall I love the look! 

9 comments:

  1. This is awesome!! Never thought to DIY this...You guys did a great job and it looks like a fun project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so cool! Thanks for sharing
    Dora
    http://adropofindigo.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have way more patience then me. I love the pop of navy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...