We sold our house ya'll! We closed last Friday and handed the keys over to the cute new owners. I didn't want to mention it before in this post because I wanted to make sure we closed before I said anything, (superstitious much?). But we put our house on the market a month ago and we had multiple offers within 24 hours, we were under contract in 3 days and closed just after 4 weeks later. Its such a great feeling!
We knew that Luke would have to be up at his new job by the end of January and we didn't put it on the market until then. We were hoping to sell quickly so we could buy quickly and were so happy to get it done so fast. Our neighborhood is really popular and we had great agents (if you are local to Columbia SC and want their names email me!) We also worked a lot on the house to get it ready to go on the market and I thought I would share some things I think helped it to sell. (This post by Hi Sugarplum! has lots of great tips too)
1. No clutter.
I know this is an obvious one but its so important. We took out all picture frames and left the house staged. Because we moved out with the twins before we put it on the market everything could stay clean and their was no baby or dog stuff lying around.
2. Less is more / furniture edition
You don't want people to walk in and feel cramped, then they start thinking its too small. Make the spaces functional but not tight.
3. Touch up paint. Touch up corners and places that get easily scuffed so the new owners don't have to come in and do it. It makes the place look cleaner.
4. Curb appeal. Also a no brainer. New pinestraw and a clean front porch make a lot of difference.
5. Make sure your closets aren't overflowing, when prospective buyers open them you don't want stuff to fall on their heads and for them to think you don't have enough storage.
6. Good realtor. Ours was great, knew the comps and the area and helped us negotiate through a bidding war. They knew a fair price for the house that we were happy with so it didn't sit on the market.
7. Clean kitchen counters. Leave your keurig out but not tons of stuff everything. Keep it clean people.
8. Keep in mind the paint colors. Not every room in our house was neutral but in general we kept it clean. This might be time to paint over your dark purple room. Grey is always a good option!
These are just some of the things that I think helped us sell our house quickly. I am so grateful to be done and ready to move on but I'm always going to miss Columbia. I teared up in the nursery when we moved out. The house we brought our babies home to will always have a special place in my heart.